Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Power of Prayer

Saint Joseph - My Mom's main man!


I’m not a religious person.  I have always considered myself spiritual.  My belief concoction is a recipe of Catholic, Jewish and Buddhism.  Where I lack in religious beliefs, I make up for in praying.  I pray all day.  I start my morning thanking God I’m here.  I pray that my family and friends are safe, sound and healthy.  I pray through out the day when someone I know needs someone to pray for them.  I pray when I read a story about something tragic.  I pray that I meet a deadline on time.  I pray that the line at the Stop & Shop isn't long.  I pray that Jennifer Aniston is finally happy. And before I go to sleep, I end my day by say this: “Please God take care of my family, my friends, the people that I love and love me and the people that don’t love me.  Make sure everyone is healthy mentally, physically and emotionally.  Thank you.”  I have been saying this almost every night for the past 10 years.  I believe in the power of prayer.  I’ve been a believer ever since a dream I had while my Mother was knocking on Heaven’s door over 13 years ago. 

My Mother didn’t tell us she was sick, until the doctors told her it was time for her to make her “arrangements”.  She was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis, a disease in which abnormal collections of chronic inflammatory cells form as nodules in multiple organs.  In short, my Mother had 52 tumors in each lung.  The doctors did what they could and sent her home to die.  When she broke the news to my siblings and myself, I felt my world change.  She had been sick for awhile but didn't want to worry us.  Now, she was saying good-bye.  I no longer acted like a teenager.  I practically ceased spending time with friends.  I stayed home every night to rub my Mother’s feet and her back.  This seemed to be the only thing that helped her breathe and sleep well at night.  During my time with my Mother, I would catch her up with what was going on in my life and I would silently pray for her quick recovery.  My Mother did recovered with the help of Eastern Medicine, prayer and her redhead will.  A few weeks later the doctors were surprised she was alive.  A few months later, they were shocked.  “Keep up whatever you are doing.  It’s working.”

My dream that I had after I found out about my Mother felt so real.  I was partying with my friends and getting into trouble as I normally did.  We were driving around town when we suddenly went over a cliff.  I was able to grab hold of something and save myself from falling.  As I gripped onto the side of this cliff with all of my might, I felt my hands slip and I said, "God please help me."  I felt my body become weightless and a warm light surrounded me and filled my eyes.  I woke up and I just knew God was there. 

It’s my belief, that even if you’re not a religious or spiritual person that you may still pray.  There is no harm in doing so.  Praying is just reaffirming positive thinking.  Here is the prayer to St. Joseph.  St. Joseph is my Mom’s man.  He does stuff for her all the time. My Mother has St. Joseph cards which she hands out to everyone.  She has all of her children put a card in our purses or wallets, in our cars and in our luggage as protection.  Every time I have lost my luggage while traveling and there is a card inside, the bag is always returned.  If you see me or my Mother ask for a card.  We will wrestle one or two up for you!

***  I added this today because we are getting into the holiday season.  It's not my thing to talk religion, it makes me a little uncomfortable.  This is a time of year there is a great deal of happiness for most and for some, this time of the year a lot of stress, worries and sadness.  We all go through life and we can all use a helping hand, whether it be just for comfort or to relieve some of our burdens.***
Prayer to St. Joseph

Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God. I place in you all my interests and desires. Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your devine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.

Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary of contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me.

This prayer was found in the fifteenth year of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In 1505 it was sent from the Pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. Whoever shall read this prayer or hear it or keep it about themselves, shall never die a sudden death, or be drowned, not shall poison take effect of them; neither shall they fall into the hands of the enemy; or shall be burned in any fire, or shall be overpowered in battle.

Say for nine mornings for anything you may desire. It has never been known to fail, so be sure you really want what you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It