Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th - 10 year Anniversary


10 Years ago from today, I woke up at 7:27am and had one thought, “Today is a bad day.”  I was sitting in my Anthropology class when someone came running into the room and yelled, “A plane just flew into the World Trade Center!”  The class was immediately dismissed and I ran back to my dorm room to turn on the news.  Just as I got into the room and turned on the tv the second plane crashed.  Myself and everyone around me had no idea what was going on.  It was chaos.  I remember calling my best friend whom was going to college outside NYC.  The phone lines were down.  I kept calling and calling, still not able to get through.  At one point I was finally able to get through to my best friend, she told me the air was full of smoke and she could see the tragedy from outside the city.

In the mists of calling my friends in New York and taking in this tragedy the students on my campus were evacuating and going home.  I found myself scrambling trying to figure out where I would go.  No way for me to get back home, I am from a little island.  I was lucky to have a few friends that took me in for the night.  One of my friend’s mother was a massage therapist and gave us all massages to help us all calm down and deal with the stress of the situation.  We gathered with her family and watched the news all day and into the night.


The day before the 9/11 attack, I woke up at my boyfriend’s condo, which was right on the Boston water front.  There was a clear view of Logan Airport.  I remember laying in bed and watching the exact planes take off for New York.  I had a few other friends that worked at the World Trade Center.  Some of which were inside when the attack occurred.  I knew of one person on Flight 11, whom was a sweetheart of a woman.  I had one friend that worked in the World Trade Center and was late to work that day.  They still talk about that this chaotic day.

It is said there are only a few moments in your life where you will remember the exact details of the event.  Things like, what you were wearing, what you were eating, what you smelled...etc.  This day, September 11, 2001, is a day most Americans will always remember where they were.  Today is the 10 year anniversary of the tragedy that brought Americans together.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of all those we lost on that day.  My thoughts and prayers also go out to those whom we have lost since that day, fighting for what it means to be an American.  We Will Never Forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It