Thursday, July 14, 2011

Work Desk Work Out Tips

Don't take life sitting down...I read a statement the other day, sitting down for most of your day shortens your lifespan.  This got me to thinking of a workout regime that would be for someone to do while they are working at their desk.  Since most people only do roughly about four hours a day of real work I figure you can add these tips into your daily routine with no problem.

I used to work for my Father in his office while I was in high school and college.  It was great!  I would file, answer phones, handle Quickbooks and greet people as they walked into the office.  My Father also took me out to lunch almost everyday, which was fantastic.  For half of the day, I would bring my balance ball into the office and do a few exercises while I was working.  Here are three of the exercises that I would do on the balance ball.  The modification would be to do these exercises in a regular office chair.

Knee Raises
While sitting on the balance ball or chair, place hands by your side for balance.  Extend legs in front of you.  Body slightly angled back.  Keep your core engaged.  Think of your bellybutton touching your spine.  Lift you knees and bring them as close to your body as you can without losing balance or disengaging your core.  Place feet back on floor.  This is one rep.  Do 10-12 reps twice to start.

Arm Dip

Move your body off of your chair or the balance ball.  Keeping your hands by your side.  Your legs should be in a 90 degree angle.  Keep your core engaged.  Lower your body to the point when your arms are in a 90 degree angle.  Return to the starting position.  Do 10-12 reps twice to start.


The Belly Dance

Sit on the balance ball. Legs in a 90 degree angle.  Keep your core engaged. Remember your bellybutton touching your spine.  Put your hands on your hips.  Rock side to side like a pendulum, then turn your upper body, look back over your shoulder and your right elbow should to reaching for the other side of the room, your left elbow should be inline with your body and reaching for the other side of the room.  Turn and repeat to the other side.  This side to side then back and forth is one rep.  Do 10-12 reps twice to start.

Just sitting on a balance ball while you are at your work desk will help to engage your core and burn calories.  Here is a balance ball that is a favorite of mine from Gaiam.  It combines a chair and a balance ball.  You may oooo and ahhhh if you wish...

*Sorry no photos today.  My blog is being a silly head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It