Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Time Menu: Summer Blue Salad and Gazpacho



It’s been gloriously hot out.  Which I personally love!  I love the heat.  I love going to the beach and letting the sun warm my skin.  I love warm nights sitting outside enjoying a cocktail.  As SpiceGirl said to me the other day, while we were enjoying sandwiches on the beach, “Food tastes better at the beach.”  I made Gazpacho and a Summer Blue Salad for dinner last night.  It’s perfect for warm nights and hot days.  Enjoy!

Summer Blue Salad


Fresh Greens
Blueberries
Blue Cheese like Roquefort
Chopped Walnuts or Almonds
Balsamic Vinaigrette

I used fresh romaine from my local farm.  I also picked up blue cheese that was very similar in texture and taste to Roquefort.  I threw everything into a large bowl and tossed it.  The blue cheese and blueberries are a great food combination.



Gazpacho
1 Red Bell Pepper
Red Chilli Pepper Flakes
1 Cucumber
1 Red Onion
2 Spoon Fulls of Garlic Paste
1 Head of Celery
fresh parsley leaves
fresh basil
1 (28-ounce) can Italian San Marzano tomatoes
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 Lemons juiced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Char the bell pepper over an open flame or under the broiler. Place in a bowl . When cool, seed, roughly chop, and add to the food processor. Chop and add the red chilli pepper flakes, cucumber, onion, garlic, celery, parsley, basil, tomatoes, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Process until fairly smooth. Place in bowl to chill, the longer you chill it the better.  It lets the flavors meld together. This is a cold, raw soup.  My brother-in-law really wanted potato chips to dip with.  Some people like bread with this soup.  I personally love to add avocado, poached shrimp or lime chicken.  

Round this meal out with a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It