Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pappa Bear's Words


I talk about my Mother’s words of wisdom on a daily basis but what about my Father’s?  Today I would love to discuss a few of the words my Father has engraved in my mind.   He has many catch phrases like, speed will come with time or five minutes early is better than five minutes late and I can’t forget the number one, Family first.

My Father wanted us to be the best we could be.  That didn't mean he wanted us to be the best.  He and my Mother worked hard to instill in us a sense of self and what is right and what is wrong.  As a little girl, I remember how possessive I was of my Father.  In every photo of the two of us I am holding onto his neck for dear life.  His favorite story is when I was sitting on one knee and my older sister was sitting on his other knee.  My Father was oblivious to what was going on but I would slowly push my sister off of my Father’s knee, then flip my legs as fast as I could onto the other knee, so that my sister was unable to return.  I did know it was wrong but he was my Father and I didn't want to share him. I have no problem admitting that I am a positive person.  It’s my nature and it is who I am.  I hope those close to me consider it a compliment when I want them all to myself.  Lets hope right?

So, there are two lessons of my Father's in particular that stand out for me today that I would like to share; Everyone likes to feel appreciated and no one likes to feel like are being taken advantage of.

Have you ever felt like someone didn’t appreciate all that you do for them?  Have you ever felt like you were being taken advantage of?  It really is a punch in the gut when you feel someone doesn’t appreciate you or takes advantage of your kind or naive nature.  What do you do when this occurs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It