Thursday, December 17, 2009

Temptation, Not So Bad After All


There’s nothing I like better than enjoying myself. I often find my self dealing with temptation, from food to love. If you’re like me and I like to think that most people are, you may find it difficult to say “no”. It is my belief that “no” is the hardest word to say in any language, especially those moments when one is faced with such evils as chocolate lava cake and a ridiculously good-looking new neighbor. They both will feed some sort of pleasure seeking nerve endings with in ones body but the lasting effects of guilt, well it lasts and lasts. The key is moderation. Sure you’ve heard this before because it works and we all need reminders every now and again. So you have my permission to go out and lock lips with a piece of that lava cake, just not the whole thing. Don’t feel bad if you do eat every last morsel, I forgive you. Of course my forgiveness comes at a price.

What’s the price, you need to find a way to make up to me and yourself for your whoopsie. We all are in a relationship with our bodies. Some people have an amazing, healthy and loving relationship with their bodies. They for-fill their bodies every need and reward the body with a few wants to satisfy any cravings. They have a healthy balance of some form of exercise, eating right, mediation and being a bit naughty from time to time. Then there are others that abuse their bodies. There is the person that is never are active, they eat enough junk food to stun a yak and over time they lose hope in themselves. Then there is the type of person that eats too healthy, a bit too active and never take time for themselves, which is this girl’s belief neither one is truly enjoying this wonderful life we all lead.

Personally I am constantly in battle with my wants and needs. I often find myself giving in when I know I shouldn’t. Maybe I too often find myself in the debate that life is too short to not eat the whole wheel of cheese. What helps is my one rule; If my body was my child how would I feed it? This includes; emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually. Your body goes through many stages in this world and you are constantly growing in so many ways. Your job is to take care of yourself. That is your only occupation while here on this planet. So here are some simple tips for you to be the best you beginning today:

Beginner:

You Time: Take fifteen minutes in the morning for just you. Sip a cup of tea and or just breathe cleansing breathes. A cleansing breath is when you breathe through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Breath in and out and just sit for fifteen minutes.

Actives:
During your lunch break walk for fifteen minutes any where. This could be around the building, around the office or up and down the stairs. To get a bit more movement in your day park away from your destination, use the parking spots in the back lot and walk to the store from there. You’ll get a few more steps in your days and start to feel better about yourself and your body. If you take public transportation take the stop before your normal stop. Walking 10,000 steps a day can help you lose weight. That’s about five miles a day. Which can easily be measured by a pedometer. You don’t have to start off at 10,000 steps, just strive to do more than the day before and you’ll be there in no time. Walking is good for the soul.

Food:
Cut out one thing a week or month depending on how much a beginner you may be. This could be soda, coffee, sugar, anything processed is really not good for you and your overall being. Every now and again to treat yourself. You can really see a difference in how good you feel by cutting out that one vice. You may not even want to return to donuts and coffee every morning.

Intermediate:

You Time:
Once you take the fifteen minutes a day to breathe you can now add on to this by doing chants such as Om Shanti Om which is done for inner peace. Do this 108 times. Best to start off by saying any chants and meditations aloud. If you have this routine for 40 days or more you will see many benefits. I also say this chant when I am having trouble sleeping, when I am in the line at the DMV or when someone is getting on my last nerve, it helps. I know mediation and chants can be a bit foreign but just try it on for size for 40 days and if after that you don’t feel some sort of change then I won’t hold it against you. It is worth a try, it really only takes about five minutes a day.

Actives:

Now you’re parking away from the market and getting close to your 10,000 steps, maybe you have already reached that point still continue the routine, it’s healthy for you and the environment. Now you may move into a fitness routine. I personally love Pilates. I love Pilates so much I may just marry it. I personally feel this program is great for everyone. There are no excuses here, this is a program that was invented for persons that are injured, such as dancers and soldiers. It is a great all over body toner, improves flexibility and stability. If you’re shy about going to a class I suggest getting a home DVD and a Pilates mat. This way you are in the comforts of your own home, no judgments and on your own time. I love to wake up and go right to my mat. Your body burns more fat in the morning when you have an empty stomach and you’ll see the results faster and it gets your work out of the way and you don’t have to stress about trying to get a work out in after work. My favorite videos are any of Ana Caban’s Videos. http://www.gaiam.com/product/fitness-center/pilates-dance/media-books/pilates+beginning+mat+workout+dvd.do?search=basic&keyword=pilates&sortby=bestSellers&page=1

Food:


Congrats you cut maybe one or two things out of your diet that may have been unhealthy. Now it’s time to add a few things to your diet such as more fruits and veggies and drinking more water and green tea.

Seriously it’s the little changes we do with in your lives, our diets and our routines that can make even bigger changes in how we feel about ourselves and how we feel about ourselves in our everyday lives. I am proud of you even if you cut out one thing and save it for your reward moment that is a big step towards a happier you. And you deserve to be happy and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It