Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rosh Hashanah - New Year & Rebirth



Rosh Hashanah began at sundown yesterday.  It’s the Jewish New Year. I have always been drawn to the Jewish faith.  To me the stories and traditions are romantic. When I met More-Yes’s parents, his mother took me aside to show and tell me something that she never told any of his other girlfriends or even More-Yes himself.  I think she saw a happy future between us and wanted to share this with me. It was a special moment between her and I.  A moment I will always treasure.  It was also a moment when I thought to myself, “Man I wish I was Jewish!”

Here are some excepts that I have found today in regards to Rosh Hashanah:

Rosh Hashanah is an ancient holiday observed on the first two days of the Hebrew month of Tishrei, Rosh Hashanah is described by writer Yonah Bookstein as “the anniversary of humanity experiencing the world.”

From Michael Berg:
“Rosh Hashanah is an important time of year; there are blessings available to every person during this time...The Kabbalists also call this time the seed of the coming year.  We know that the seed of a tree, even before it is planted holds within it all the potential that the tree will become.  It will take time even after the seed is planted for the tree to manifest its complete growth and potential.  Nevertheless, the seed that was planted already determines much of what will grow and happen next.  If you plant an apple see, no matter what you do afterwards, you will not be able to grow an orange tree.  This is what occurs on Rosh Hashanah; we are creating and planting the seeds for the coming year.  We want to have a year filled with great blessing and happiness so we take the opportunity through our thoughts and actions now to draw all of the energy that we will manifest later.  Everything that we do on the days of Rosh Hashanah (This Thursday and Friday) is meant to assist us in planting the right and best seeds for the blessings that we want and will need in the coming year...Another beautiful teaching is that on this day everything is renewed.”

I think it would be ok, even if you're not Jewish, to observe this holiday of renewal and rebirth.  Take a moment to plant some seeds of what you want for the coming year.  Take a moment to change and rid yourself of what you do not want in your life.  And take a moment to add to your life what you do want.  This is your time...Use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It