Monday, September 19, 2011

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady


Today would have been my Grampy’s birthday.  My Grampy was worldly, intelligent and charismatic.  He was constantly quoting literature, poetry as well as having a few gems of his own.  He had a way with the word and his voice was velvety and mesmerizing, especially when he would recite Wynken, Blynken and Nod.  Once a year, he would write my Granny a multi-page love letter, telling her how wonderful she is and how much he loves her.  Normally, this letter was given during the holiday season.  I remember, my whole family gathering around my Granny as she read it quietly to herself.  We all waited with baited breathe for the moment she would start crying.  This moment we would all refer to as “Got Ya!” 

One quote in particular, I remember my Grampy versing, “Faint heart never won fair lady.”  This quote I have researched, it is in reference to war.  Stating that, anything worth having is worth fighting for...And it’s probably going to be difficult to win.  I like to think, my Grampy, was forewarning my cousins and siblings, that a weak hearted person is just that, weak hearted.  They will not fight to win you over.  They will not be able to stand by you when you truly need them.  Nor, will they fight for you when life is not going their way.  In short, stay away from people that give you chicken-shit excuses. 

I met a man recently that is very bold to say the least.  There is nothing timid in his demeanor or his stature.  Standing at 6’5”, this man caught me off guard.  Ever since this encounter, I catch myself blushing, weakened and slowly won over by his presence.    So, I suppose what my Grampy was saying for years, “Faint heart never won fair lady” may just be true.  Thank you Grampy for your ever wise words that live on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It