Friday, March 25, 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia Seeds!


This past October I was having a health food debate with the chef and owner of one of my favorite restaurants on Nantucket, Corazon del Mar. If you’re ever on the island, do yourself a favor and check it out. I love everything on the menu, the food is orgasmic. I highly suggest the Sangria for a bevy, Guacamole and Yucca Fries to start and for your entree the Fish Tacos. Don’t even think about leaving until you finish with the Churros, I literally drink the chocolate sauce, it’s pure chocolate people! My mouth is watering now...

Ok, back to the topic at hand. This incredible chef and restaurateur opened my eyes to a magic food, Chia Seeds. At first I thought he was crazy. “Come on? You’re crazy! Like the chia pets?” He went on to inform me of some of the benefits. It didn’t take long for me to be convinced I should do more research and try chia out for myself. Well, now I am obsessed with Chia Seeds! You know those commercials where you can grow your own chia pet? Well, this is is, except these seeds you consume and the benefits are crazy wonderful. I don't suggest you run out and grab a chia pet. I have no idea the quality of their seeds for consumtion. If I were you, I would purchase seeds from a place like Trader Joes, Whole Foods or better yet your local health food store. Two tablespoons per day is the minimum I suggest. I add the seeds to water, let sit for 15 minutes until it forms a gel and add it to a smoothie. Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia! I sing the chia pet song every time I open the fridge and grab my chia seeds.

Benefits of Chia Seeds:

-Makes you feel fuller longer: So if you don’t want to add calories but you want to feel full and have health benefits this is your magic food.

-Balance Blood Sugar: Slows down the body’s conversion of starches into sugars.

-Omega-3s and 6: By weight, chia seeds contains more omega 3 than salmon and flax seeds.

-Protein: 1 tablespoon of chia seeds contains 2 grams of protein. Chia seeds are a complete protein, so no need to combine with other foods.

-Fiber: 1 tablespoon contains 5.5 grams of fiber

-Fight Aging: Chia seeds are packed with anti-oxidants.

-Vitamins: Contains calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc and many more!

-Easy to Digest: Unlike flax seeds these beauties don’t need to be ground up. Can sprinkle on everything if you really wanted to.

-Energy: The health pioneer Paul Bragg did an experiment an endurance hike with friends. They divided up into a chia-eating group and another group, who ate whatever they wanted. The group eating only chia seeds finished the hike four hours, twenty-seven minutes before the others, most of whom didn't even finish at all.

-Substitute: Use the chia gel for baking!

-Clean: It helps to cleanse the intestines.

-Weight-loss: The combination of feeling fuller and cleansing the body equals a slimmer waistline.

So this magic food helps to keep your body in tip top condition, keeps you looking young, vibrant and feeling your best!



I personally grab my Chia Seeds at my local health food store, Annye's Whole Foods.

Annye's Whole Foods
14 Amelia Drive
Nantucket, MA 02554-6064
(508) 228-4554

For one of the best meals of your life:

Corazon del Mar
21 S. Water Street
Nantucket Ma 02554
508-228-0815

Corazon del Mar has two sister restaurants, each restaurant is unique with an ambiance that prepares your senses for their mouth tantalizing menus. http://www.boardinghouse-pearl.com/

Pearl
12 Federal Street
Nantucket Ma 02554
508-228-9701

The Boarding House
12 Federal Street
Nantucket Ma 02554
508-228-9622







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It