Sunday, February 27, 2011

What's that on your skin?


Recently, I went out to dinner with one of my oldest friends, Bella, whom just happens to be prego. While gazing at her glorious pregnancy glow, I couldn’t help but comment and compliment her on how wonderful she looked. Her reply, “It’s make-up. I look awful.” Isn’t it funny how pregnant women always think that they look awful, even though they are the cutest people on earth. She continued to tell me about the brand of make-up, Tarte. I have heard of the brand before, my candy store just happens to be Sephora. Tarte is a natural cosmetic company, free of parabens, synthetic fragrances and phthalates, plus they have some incredible products. She decided that since she was pregnant, she thought it best to get natural, chemical free make-up. I thought this was brilliant and It made me think. I make a conscience decision everyday whether I am going to fill my body with processed, unhealthy foods. Why should I stop at what I eat? I should be thinking about what I am slathering on my face and body everyday. Also, the idea of having a pregnancy glow without the bun in the oven was very appealing.

I’m on a new mission: Find beauty products that work and are healthy for my skin. I started doing a little bit of research and came upon this article by Estelle Hayes: The Chemicals In Your Cosmetics. Which discusses exactly what the title implies, the chemicals in your cosmetics. I have to say, I was in shock. The standards that beauty companies follow are no where near as strict as food companies. With the combination of my friend’s pregnancy, Estelle's declarations and the other researched that followed, I am thinking I need to turn a new compact. Certainly not only for my future children but for my own well-being.

So readers, this is just the beginning. I am on the hunt for great, natural products that hopefully won’t break the bank. I don't know how I'll feel about giving up some of my beauty product staples. I've always been a fan of Benefit Cosmetics, I'm addicted to my Murad cleanser and Kiss Me Mascara has been the only mascara that hasn't made me look like a raccoon. So stay tuned and if you know of any great beauty finds please comment.

Estelle Hayes: The Chemicals In Your Cosmetics. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/estelle-hayes/chemicals-in-cosmetics_b_826191.html

Sephora has a whole section on natural products that meet a certain standard. For more information click here. http://www.sephora.com/browse/article.jhtml?id=720901

The product my friend used I believe was Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Illuminating Serum. http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P278604&categoryId=C12001

2 comments:

  1. I was very impressed with the SKII Facial Treatment Essence (www.geocities.jp/hongkong_skii/index_e.htm), enough so that I have continued to use the product daily as part of my skin care routine after the test period. It's a luxury purchase to be sure, but this is one of the best products that can really make a significant difference in your skin, and so worth every penny.

    I applied the treatment each morning and evening after cleansing my skin and before moisturizer/primer and then makeup. Within just a few days I could see that my skin was much more supple and smooth - particularly in the t-zone. After about two weeks, I loved the beautiful glow my skin had - even without makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa for posting! I am not familiar with SkII. Is this a natural brand company? I can't seem to find the ingredients. Would you help me out here?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It