Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Change Your Love Life


When is the right time to tell someone you love them? In my opinion, the moment you feel you love someone you inform them so. This doesn’t necessarily have to be someone you’re dating. It could be a friendship, a sibling, a teacher, etc, etc. Just tell those you love that you love them. Free yourself from the chains of holding the love emotion in.

Over the past two years I have learned a lot about love; What I want and how to express how I feel about someone. Now, I still have more to learn but everyday I am getting closer to being completely free in love. The person who has taught me so much about expressing love, is one of my very good friends, we’ll call her Frida. This isn’t her real name but she is Mexican and she loves Frida Kahlo. For those of you whom don’t know who Frida Kahlo is, she is an incredible Mexican artist who lived only like a true artist can live; a bit of tragedy, a bit of magic and a whole lot of passion.

The first night Frida and I met we clicked right away. She was a girl that loves to dance and live life to the fullest and so am I. It is a very natural friendship between us and it feels like we’ve known each other for years. Within a week or two of spending time together she said she loved me. I was a little taken back and didn’t say anything. Before I met Frida it was a rarity that I told anyone besides someone I was related to that I loved them. It was a belief of mine that the love word shouldn't be thrown around to just anyone.

The “I love yous” continued for awhile from Frida and soon I said to myself, “What the hell, I love and care for this person. I should be expressing it.” So began the exchange of expressing how I felt about Frida and I told her all the time I loved her. I could feel the chains starting to come undone.

One afternoon, we went out for sushi and I asked her how and why she is so quick to tell someone she loves them. Frida explained to me that in Mexico it’s completely natural to express how you feel about someone. It doesn’t matter the length of time you know someone, you tell them you love and care for them. She had no fear about telling someone she loved them and I was envious of this. For Americans, I think this concept of expressing how we feel the moment we feel it is a bit scary. How many times have you been in a situation where you wanted to tell someone you loved them but felt they would run for the hills? Or Visa versa, had someone tell you they loved you and you ran for the hills. Love is scary and leaves you vulnerable. Love is a powerful emotion, it can make us do or say crazy things. I have been on this long journey about learning it’s best to tell someone you love them when you have the opportunity. If they don’t feel the same way about you it’s best to know that bit of information before getting in too deep. Plus, expressing you care and love someone sets you free. The more you love and are willing to give and receive love the happier you’ll be. Tell those that you love just how you feel whether it be a friend, a parent, a sibling, a teacher or a romantic possibility. Knowing that someone may not feel the same as you and still expressing yourself is being truly free in life.

By the way, I love my friend Frida with all my heart. She is an incredible woman who has taught me so much about love and life. She is straight and taken, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It