Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Gluten Free Vegan Burgers
I just had the last of my 20s birthday party and the theme was Hamburgers. I had a variety of burgers. There was something for everyone, but I paid close attention to the vegetarians since I used to be one and really still am in spirit. I also had a hamburger cake to top the evening off. This is a cake that I have been eying since I was a little girl. My Mother would go all out for our birthday parties and this cake in particular was a favorite of mine. The recipe for this birthday cake is different from my Mother's but the thought is still the same. I will only post the recipe if asked since it's not exactly healthy with the butter cream frosting and brownie center.
Here is the recipe for the Gluten Free Vegan Burgers. They were quite the hit, easy to make and good for you too. Bon Appétit!!!
• 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
• 2/3 cup hummus OR 1/2 cup mashed cooked chickpeas + 2 Tbsp water
• 2 Tbsp tomato paste
• 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal
• 1 Tbsp soy sauce OR Bragg's Liquid Aminos
• 1 tsp dried basil leaf
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
• 1/2 tsp gr cumin seed
• 1 tsp gr coriander seed
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 2 Tbsp brown rice powder OR vital wheat gluten OR Brown Rice Flour
• Salt & pepper to taste
1. Blend all ingredients in a bowl or food processor
2. If you have time, chill the mixture for an hour or so before forming into patties, for a firmer patty.
3. Divide burger mix into 8 equal portions and form into 3 inch patties
4. Fry in a little oil on medium heat, 5 - 10 minutes each side, until browned and firm OR Grill the Patties
5. To freeze uncooked, place the patties between sheets of wax paper on a baking sheet and freeze. Store in a freezer bag or plastic container and cook as needed (thaw in fridge or microwave)
*The photo is of the Hamburger Cake not the Veggie Burgers. I forgot to make a photo of the finished product.