Friday, August 6, 2010

Beet and Baby Arugula Salad with Pistachio Crusted Goat Cheese


This recipe is inspired by one of my favorite restaurants on Nantucket, Dune. Their beet salad could be my favorite of all time. Go in and try some of their delicious dishes. You’ll leave satisfied!

When I made this dish I was trying to think of something that was healthy and pink, since I was cooking for my three year old niece, whose favorite color is pink. She’s not a hard girl to please, I’m a rock star in her eyes. So if I’m eating something she wants it too, thank heavens. “Where you go I go Aunt Dorphy.” I love beets and love them even more that they are so healthy and packed with so many nutrients. My niece loved them too. Even more so that they made the plate and the goat cheese pink!

Ingredients:

Beets
Green or Red Pistachios
Goat Cheese
Arugula
Olive Oil
Pepper to Taste
Balsamic

Directions:

First with a food processor or a Magic Bullet, grab a handful of pistachios and grind them into a fine powder. Cut the goat cheese into small quarter size pieces depending on the size and shape of the goat cheese. Next place the pistachios on the plate to cover the goat cheese with pistachios. This should be a thick coating of nuts on the goat cheese. Place the cheese back in the fridge. The cheese should be in the fridge for at least an hour.

While the cheese is in the fridge peel and boil the beets. Boil the beets just like you would potatoes. Once they are done drain and cool. Once the beets are cool, cut them into circular pieces.

Once cheese is ready you have three options: Place in oven for 350 degrees for a few minutes on each side. Second option is you may take a fry pan and a little olive oil to fry each side of the cheese until a golden brown. The last option is to just serve right out of the fridge. The last option is the most healthy.

With a handful of arugula place in a bowl and toss with olive oil, a quick drizzle of balsamic and a little bit of pepper. I like using tongs to mix the arugula around to coat each leaf.

Place arugula on a plate as the bed for the salad, next add beets then on top of the beets add the crusted goat cheese and Enjoy!


Dune Restaurant
http://dunenantucket.com/
20 Broad Street
Nantucket MA 02554

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It