Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Guest Blogger: How To Do A Stability Ball Squat


When I asked Greg how does one do a stability ball squat, his answer was, "Pray."  Greg makes standing on an inflated ball look easy and fun to achieve.



I have been fortunate to gather some incredible guest bloggers for the next few weeks. I am very excited about today’s post from professional hockey player Greg Mauldin. I approached him about doing a Lazy Post since his reputation preceded him as someone who is passionate and dedicated to health and fitness. After-all, his profession requires that his body always be running at 100%!


I will be honest with you, I didn’t know much about Greg’s career when I first spoke with him. After a little research, I soon discovered that this approachable player is a fan-favorite in every city he plays. It didn’t take me long to understand why. He has the perfect combination of humility, passion, and dedication one would hope for in a professional athlete. The brief time I have spent talking with Greg has already shown me how dedicated he is to respect the limits of his body, and taking care of himself mentally and physically. He has inspired me to do the same. (I’ve already thought about going to workout twice today!)   I hope he will inspire you as well.


Here is Greg doing a Stability Ball Squat. His explanation is easy to follow. It may take a few tries or days to achieve, but push yourself a little more each time. Make sure the stability ball is fully inflated. (I learned this the hard way and now my booty is slightly bruised.)  Can not stress enough to have your core fully engaged at all times.  This is key in any stability ball training.


HOW TO DO A SQUAT USING A STABILITY BALL

1. Sit on the ball without your calves touching the ball. Balance using your core.

 2. Now try just having your hands and knees touching the ball.  See if you can support yourself and balance doing that while keeping your core tight.



4. Grab onto a bar or person.  Try standing on the ball.


Make sure your core is tight and you squeeze the ball with your feet.  You'll feel it in your hips, thighs and groin if you don't do it right.




 How To Do The Actual Squat 








While keeping your balance, slowly lower your body, while bending your legs and keep your core tight.  Your knees should not move past your toes Keep squatting until you are in a seated position.















 Next, while maintaining your balance and core engaged, begin to lift your body and come to the standing position.

















Greg Mauldin is currently a center for the Lake Erie Monsters in Cleveland Ohio.  If you’re in the area go root him on!  If you can’t make it to a game, then follow him on Twitter, @gmaul20



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It