Saturday, October 22, 2011

Book/Cooking Club

While out to dinner with some of my childhood friends last month, one of girls suggested that we start a book club.  This quickly evolved to finding good reads about food and try our hand at cooking some of the recipes.  Honestly, best idea ever!  I loved our last book, Lunch in Paris.  The writer's descriptions of Paris and her description on the food constantly had my mouth watering.  There's a great part in the book, that we all agreed with, (I can't quote since I don't have the book in front of me.) that compares eating to sex.  A woman that is picky about what she eats, will probably not rip her lover's clothes off.  But a girl that hasn't put down her spoon and devours her chocolate souffle will probably show her lover a thing or two.  Pick up the book for yourself...It's entertaining and there are some yummy recipes.  We each made something from the book and we will take turns hosting the event.  Sorry, I was so distracted by the food, I forgot to take photos of everything. 


Book/Cooking Club 1st Meeting Menu: Hosted by The Domestic Diva
Mushroom Turnovers
Fennel Salad
Pork
Haricot Vert
Chocolate Souffle

Mushroom Turnovers...Yum!

Pork and to the right are the Apples and Onions to make the Delicious Sauce!

Chocolate Souffles with Whipped Cream. (I covered them with whipped cream.  I don't care if it's wrong or right.)


I can't give you any of the recipes from the book but I can share with you my recipe for whipped cream. It's very easy to make.

I am bad when it comes to measuring.  I grew up in a house where if it's the right color or you can smell it then it's ready.

Homemade Whipped Cream
Heavy whipping cream
Sugar (I think about a 1/2 cup)
Vanillia extract (I would say about a tablespoon)

Put mixing bowl in fridge.  The cream mixes best with a cold bowl.  Combine ingredients in mixer on high and add ingredients to taste.  Enjoy!

*Our next book is Comfort Me With Apples by Ruth Reichl.  This was my choice and I will be hosting the next gathering.  I couldn't put this book down when it first came out in 2001.  I am excited to relive it once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It